A Close To Open-Source

This will be my final blog post for DPS909. The open-source course offered by Seneca College. This course has given me an insight on the open-source world. Where it is located (Github). How licensing and ownership works. How to become a contributor in the open source community. Using tools like Git that help with the contribution process. Finally, this course has introduced me to the world of blogging. Being able to share my experiences with others.

For our final assignment (Release 4.0) we are tasked to:

1. Find a big project to contribute to (external issue).

So this task was tough for me because of my low confidence in my programming ability. Even though, the successful completion of this exercise does not require our pull request to merge into the project we work on.

I found a great project under the Uber open source umbrella called baseweb. Baseweb is a design system compromised of modern, responsive, living components in react.

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 9 49 51 PM
The issues#2165 specified a bug in the FormControl component. One of its props "disabled", is supposed to disable the label field but instead greys out the input. Letting the user input.

The solution is to have the disabled checkbox add "disabled" prop in to the <Input /> tag inside the <FormControl /> tag instead of directly adding it into the <FormControl /> tag. Manually adding "disabled" into <Input /> tag does the trick.

I worked on the fix for days and had come close to a solution but before sending the pull request for review. I came across the hard coded description of the disabled button in the Form Control component.

Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 10 08 44 PMAccording to the disabled props description, "Displays label in light grey if true". It performs this functionality when the disabled checkbox is clicked (true) . To clear this up, I replied to the post with the evidence and the maintainer checked with the initial issue creator. Once confirmed, The maintainer 'gergelyke' sent in a pull request #2414 him self in minutes.

So, I started my search for another issue to work on and found a great learning issue on a project I worked on in Release 0.3. The project is called angular-extension-registry. Which is an angular module that provides a plugin registry system for random data injecting additional UI components into views.

The maintainer requested that someone add a CONTRIBUTION.md file for the project in Issue#28. This a priority issue for any open source project because a Contribution file gives people who want to contribute a full "How to Contribute" guideline. The file explains in details on how to setup the project for development and testing, steps to contribute, raising issue, proper pull request practices, Git commit formatting and a brief code of conduct.

Here is my pull#75 for the CONTRIBUTION.md file.

2. Continue to contribute to Seneca's Telescope project.

For the internal Telescope project I decided to help out with removing some highly un secure access tokens and user Id information that were being displayed on the web browser console for testing. This would occur every time passport.js was to authenticate a users login credentials to the website. after removing the logs, I added a comment that would let other contributors know what the function is intended to return instead of displaying the actual user credentials..

The issue: Hide Tokens from Logger located in usingPassport.js
The pull request: Removed log with tokens

This course was a learning curve for me. I was never aware of how power full Github and Git tools can be. Especially when contributing and working on a code in a virtual development setting.


Comments

Popular Posts